• tree

Engelska bruda?

Are there any other english brides to be out there planning their wedding to swedish men?

I'd love to hear from you!

Where are you living and what is the magical date?

Stockholm, 18th August 07 for us!

• Svar på tråden Engelska bruda?
  • Pomodoro

I'm a molecular biologist. I'm doing a phD now, in Leicester. Still in the lab, doing a late experiment. And what's better to do while waiting for the centrifuge than to visit brollopstorget!
    I hope the fact that I've been abroad could help me find a job in Sweden, because I really want to move back some day.I taught my fiance swedish, so I hope he can find a job too. He's a final year medic, and to be a doctor in sweden he has to be completely fluent. Are you able to speak english at work?

• 4:e Maj

Does anyone has any tips on how to get my fiance to learn swedish? He will not to a course. Hoping that more time spent in sweden will make him automatically pick it up.

• future mrs B

look at the local library, we found some "learn swedish" tapes-a bit old fashion but hey...

• Pomodoro

4:e maj
    Speak swedish at home. That's how we did it. It's hard in the beginning, 'cause you have to talk about really simple stuff. We also bought a book: "Swedish for beginners, and went through that. It takes time to teach someone a language, though. Patience...

The thing is that he is not that keen to learn as everyone speaks english but I want him to...at least a little

• tree

watch movies with swedish subtitles, they are really good!

i guess if there is no plan to move to sweden, then it will be hard for him to motivate himself... but i guess when (if) you have children he might feel the need to learn so that you and the children don't have a secret language!

Yes, film are good. I'm hoping that ones we get the summer house we will spend more time in sweden and he will pick it up that way.

Ha ha, he wants 4 children so it will be him against us 5!

• tree

Pomodoro
    i'm sure you'll have no probelm getting a job, especially with a phd! i also have a phd and it's really valued! my m2b worked abroad of course, in switzerland after his masters ex-jobb and then in london, adn i think employers found him more interesting for him. he got work after only 6 weeks here. i got my job before we left the uk but he camse without anything...

as a doctor it'll be ok for him but he needs to do the proficiency exam to get the lisence i think. that is level C1 in the european standards test. i did level B2 in the winter term (after being here 1 year) and should have started teh C1 course in the autumn now but i was too busy. but it doesn't take so long once you already have the basics i think.

i speak in swedish with the nurses at work becasue they are generally older and donät like to speak english, but i speak english and some swedish with other physicists and doctors

• tree

Pomodoro
    as a trainee though, doctors can come for an exchange for a semester... i know becasue i teach them in english! perhaps that would be a good opportunity for your m2b to learn swedish and make some contacts in sweden! and he could take a language course for medics too...

• tree

4:e Maj
    perhpas you need to explain to your man about the secret language weapon!

Svar på tråden Engelska bruda?