• 4:e Maj

Engelska bruda?

Will get married to my english guy 04/05/07 here in London (in english but in the swedish church) where we plan to live, propably for the rest of our lives. Currently lookin for a little house in Sweden for holidays as they are soooo cheap.

So what it is like being british living in sweden (I only know it the other way around)?

I agree, living standard is a big thing. We are currently living in a relative's flat for free so it's currently not that big of an issue for us. I do get so fedup with the autumn/winter here as it's get so damp but love the spring and summer.
    What kind of job do you have and how fluent is your swedish (sorry if you think I'm nosy)? Just asking as many Europeans I met always talk about how difficult it is for a non swede to get a job over there.

Thanks and sorry again for being so nosy. I've lived in london myself for 10 years but make sure I go to sweden 3-4 times a year as it's so close and relatively cheap.
    I often, especially when in sweden, think about that it must be like for foreigners who have moved there (by choice) as I sometimes feel a bit forign myself having not lived there for so many years.

Which english wedding traditions are you going to keep/do away with?

We are following the swedish traditions as it's a swedish church but it will all be in english. The reception will be more like an english wedding reception without the 'allsang' or the playing. The cake will be a none fruitcake. I will do a party program although I don't think that's an english tradition, right?

Also, I like to seat people who don't know each other together but my english friends and people at work says that is unheard of in the uk - is that right?

Going dress shopping next week in sweden as they are so much cheaper than over here.

I will apply for english citizenship when we have children, at the moment there is no additional benefits.

Yes, I will take his name as I'm so tired of spelling mine all the time

I've been her 10 years. It minimum 6,5 years if you are not married and 5,5 if married.

Not much of a difference, as far as I know, apart from the voting and that you can't work in certain goverment departments.
    You can have both and so can your children (my nephew is swedish, english and australian). I just want english citizenship when we have children to ensure that in case the law change we can't be seperated. Yes, a bit paranoid perhaps but you never know these days. As it's currently so easy to obtain why not!

terri - it's 5.5 years for me to get a british citizenship, phoned imigration a few months ago and they adviced me to wait until married (only 5.5 months left) as it was so much less paperwork. Not sure what it requires to become swedish.

Svar på tråden Engelska bruda?