• Svar på tråden Engelska brudar 2
  • NuÄrDetDags (snart Mrs. 170307)

jojo02:

I read it to my h2b (who is the native English speaker) and he was not too enthusiastic. Not because it is casual - we also had very casual invitations - but the first sentence sounds strange - unfortunately it is 'Prison Break' on the tele so I (he) can't go into details now.

• jojo02

Nu är det dags: would love suggestions. As I said not the kind of English I'm used to write. But if you want a flight itinerary round the world, I'm your girl :)

Vår svenska inbjudan lyder:

gäst naman & gäst namn
    Välkommen till vårt bröllop
    och gemensam 30 års fest

Vi gifter oss i Linköpings domkyrka lördagen den 18/8-07 kl 15.30

Plats,,, osv......

The adds are on and I wrote this, which my h2b confirmed (but I only trust him 99% at the moment, 'Prison Break' is on you know... )

Name & Name,
    We would like to welcome you
    to our wedding,
    which is also our shared 30th birthday!

The marriage will take place on the XXX at 3:30 pm in XXX.

We would really appreciate you being there and sharing this day with us.

• tree

wow so many messages... where to start?!!

NuÄrDetDags (snart Mrs. 170307)
    very cool with the trolls cake topper! what a lovely keepsake too! guests will always want to give something, a small giftlist could be helpful for those who want to buy something. perhpas you shoudl consider it... i would never turn up empty handed to a wedding!

Hanban
    welcome back! very exciting to hear you booked your honeymoon and bought BM dresses! where will you go, when, how long... details!!!

4:e Maj
    weeks to return them! oh no!.... perhaps i'll give the post office a call today and just see what their policy is at the moment... and call a few guests too!
    sorry to hear about problems with your summer house purchase... hopefully you'll get a better price now anyway!
    exciting that guests have already bought thigns form the gift list! happy emails arriving at work sounds great!

jojo02
    i think NuÄrDetDags's translation reads better actually! esecially the first sentence. hope it's helpful! 8 i am english by the way)...

the whole waiting for rsvp's is a pain in the a**! we handed out a few invitations in person as well and everybody has said they are coming but not 1 has officially RSVP'd! boo hoo... we canät keep track of verbal replies so i hope they will offically repond later!

went to visit friends last night who had a baby 5 weeks ago... he was soooo beautiful! and watching my m2b hold the baby was so lovely! i really canät wait to start a family!... 1 thing ata a time though... wedding and honeymoon first!... then we'll see! hehe

• jojo02

Tree and Nuärdetdags: Thanks for help and feedback.

The things is it's not our birthdays on that day, we will just take the opportunity to celebrate when family and friends are all gathered.
    Could I just ad the word party after your suggestion? Also, is the word marriage what you use, instead of ceremony? To me it sounds strange. Could I use ceremony, or will that be weird?

Like this:

Name & Name,
    We would like to welcome you
    to our wedding,
    which is also our shared 30th birthday PARTY!

The CEREMONY will take place on the XXX at 3:30 pm in XXX.

We would really appreciate you being there and sharing this day with us.

Thanks again. :)

terri:
    We have said that we don't want presents but if someone feels silly arriving empty handed, we have officialy offered the possibility to contribute towards our honeymoon - so noone HAS TO come without anything! Unfortunately I don't know what to do with superduperspecial cutlery or cute plates and cups, modern shaped vases or the other 'normal' wedding presents. Honestly, it would go directly into the basement (of course I wouldn't say that to anyone that comes around with that kind of present). We are just not into that kind of stuff. We hoped we had made that clear but well... We will wait and see. After all, it is not something one needs to get upset about.

Hehe, we looked after my nephew 7 weeks or so ago (he was then about 5 months). We had him at ours from 7 am until about 8 pm - and after that we both decided to wait a long, long time with own kids. Gee, that was stressful!

Jojo2
    Then add 'wedding ceremony' - only 'ceremony' is in my opinion too vague. Can't see a problem with adding 'party' though.

Sorry tree, haven't got used to your new nick.

• tree

jojo02...

actually it is fine with just 'ceremony'... you have already specified that it is a wedding so there is no need to say it again! it reads fine though if you do add it again but then becomes more 'proper' english and not the informal style you are trying for perhaps... always tough to phrase thigns properly for 'public reading'!

i think it's kind of strange though to mix a 30th birthday party with a wedding... a wedding is a big event and i think the 30th birthday party just waters it down a little...

NuÄrDetDags (snart Mrs. 170307)
    no problem!... well if u have given the option of honeymoon contributions then i think you don't need to add another list... we have done the same as you... but we'll see... there are always traditional poeple out there who want to give a vase or a set of towels i guess!

Well, we could actually do with some new towels.

I would by the way still add 'wedding ceremony' - just to illustrate that that part of the day has nothing to do with the birthday party...

• 4:e Maj

NuÄrDetDags (snart Mrs. 170307) - Not long to go, how exciting! I either re-gift or take unwanted items to the charity shop, can't be helped. I have a re-gifting box under the bed where unwanted items goes. A bit mean yes but I wouldn't know what to do with what in my oppinion is crap. My sister have a look in it every now and then to see if there is anything she likes. H2b's cousin lets me have a look in hers as long as I don't re-gift it to their side of the family. So far, no one has asked to see their gift. If they do, I'll just say that the thing unfortunately broke and how sorry I'm.

Does anyone have any suggestion where in London I should go for a pink knee long bridesmades dress? I've done all the big Oxford Street department stores, Laura Ashley, M&S, Lk Bennett etc and getting a bit fed up.

Svar på tråden Engelska brudar 2