• Äldre 26 Jul 08:48
    2402 visningar
    10 svar

why there are so few gay wedding photos?

I would love to see some photos of same sex weddings!

Apparently most couples here on Bröllopstorget are straight, so most photografers just post photos of straight weddings! Wedding photos are often following gender stereotypes: the bride is romantic, the groom protective, she is lying in his arms, he looks at the future.

In a gay wedding -- as in a gay relationship -- there are no default roles, but people are more free to choose. So, it is a challenge, I believe, for the wedding photographer to set free from expectations and stereotypes.

This came to my mind last week, shooting an engagement session for two friends of mine, Amélie and Mélissa. It was the first time I shot a same-sex couple session -- beside at the Pride -- and I definitively had to re-think my approach to couple photography!
    If you are curious, here are the photos: http://friedoranges.wordpress.com/2013/07/22/summer-i-am-in-love/

Does any of you plan a gay or lesbian wedding, had one, or attended one? How did the photographer interpreted it? Which part had the "expected" gender roles?

I'd love to read about your experiences and opinions!

• Svar på tråden why there are so few gay wedding photos?
  • Äldre 26 Jul 09:25
    SingingFantacia skrev 2013-07-26 09:22:58 följande:
    I was wondering the same thing. I would like to see more. I can ad ours after 10/8.
    I look forward to see your photos!
    And congratulations for your wedding!
  • Äldre 26 Jul 15:28
    PippiL8 skrev 2013-07-26 10:41:56 följande:
    My boyfriend and I are getting married in New York in two weeks and when looking for photografer etc we noticed that gay marriages are very common there. Our photografer had alot of photos of gay couples on his websites. Maybe you can find some inspiration at his website and from other photografers in New York :)
    skoglundweddings.com 
    A wedding in New York! This should be really beautiful! Do you have family there, or did you choose your dream destination?

And thank you for the link to your photographer. I have been browsing trhough the photos, I like them. yes, there are several same-sex couples too. Somehow I though that Sweden was more open -- than for example the US -- to gay marriage. So this is why I am surprise to see so little of it, here in Sweden.
  • Äldre 30 Jul 09:43
    SingingFantacia skrev 2013-07-26 17:20:22 följande:
    I guess there's not so many gay couples using BT for there planing. It's more of a straight quarter I think. Unfortunately.
    It looks like so, maybe because the gender stereotypes are still so strong, when it comes to weddings.

How was your experience, of a same sex couple getting married in Sweden? Did you encounter any difficoulties planning your wedding, or some situation where people had to get out of their stereotypes?
  • Äldre 9 Aug 14:04
    SingingFantacia skrev 2013-08-07 09:21:25 följande:
    We are getting martied this Saturday. And tha planning is going great. Everyone has been positive. Some people have asked a lot of questions. .. The only one thsts really been getting out from their comfort zone is my mother. Her church is against homosexuality. And she had questions about whos going to be the girl. But now shes over it and a big help.
    Today is the great day!
    I am sure it will be a fantastic moment!
    And I look forward to seeing your photos!
Svar på tråden why there are so few gay wedding photos?